UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Ballyseedy, Kerry

Historical Description

BALLYSEEDY, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Tralee; containing 1164 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Mang or Maine, and on the mail coach road from Tralee to Killarney; it comprises 3509 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2640 per annum, and there are 92 acres exempt from tithe. The land is mostly under tillage; the principal crop is oats. Towards the west the parish includes a portion of the Slievemish mountains; the land there is chiefly coarse mountain pasture, and there is a considerable portion of light bog; about 500 acres of bog and mountain have been planted within the last two or three years. Limestone abounds and is extensively used for manure. Ballyseedy House, the handsome residence of Sir E. Denny, Bart., is situated in an extensive and richly wooded demesne; and at Ballyseedy is the residence of the Rev. Mr. Nash, pleasantly situated on an eminence commanding a fine view of the country towards the south and east. The river Mang or Maine has its rise in the neighbouring mountains, and empties itself into Castlemaine bay; it abounds with excellent trout. On the banks of a small river that flows through the parish and fans into Tralee bay is a large flour-mill. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of Arthur Blennerhasset, Esq., in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £120, and are payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe, but divine service is performed in the school-house at Farmer's-Bridge, The ruins of the old church, to which a burial-ground is attached, are in the demesne of Ballyseedy. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Ballymac-Elligott. The Wesleyan Methodists assemble for divine worship in a private house. A neat schoolhouse has been lately erected at the village of Farmer's Bridge, under the auspices of the Rev. A. B. Rowan, of Belmont; it was built and is supported by subscription : there is also a school under the superintendence of the R. C. clergyman; in these schools about 100 children are educated.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ballyseedy from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kerry is available to browse.