BALLYNASLANEY, a parish, partly in the barony of SHELMALIER, but chiefly in that of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4¾ miles (S. by E.) from Enniscorthy; containing 916 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the eastern bank of the river Slaney, and on the mail coach road from Wexford to Enniscorthy; it comprises 2608 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. A small portion is marshy, but by far the greater portion is good arable and pasture land. The river is navigable for vessels of large burden as far as Pooldarragh, in this parish, at which place the contemplated canal to Enniscorthy, a distance of 6½ British miles, will commence, according to the proposed plan. It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, annexed to the rectory of Edermine by act of council in 1806; the rectory is impropriate partly in the Earl of Portsmouth and partly in the Representatives of Walter Redmond, Esq. The tithes amount to £161. 10. 9., of which £106. 3. 0¾. is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the curate. The church, of which even the ruins have been removed, must have been originally a handsome structure; a very fine Norman doorway, formerly a part of it, has been inserted in the church of Kilpatrick at Saunders-court. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Oylgate, in the parish of Edermine, where stands the chapel. There is a pay school in which about 40 children are educated.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballynaslaney from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.