BALLYMITTY, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Taghmon; containing 404 inhabitants. This parish is intersected by the new road from Bannow to Wexford: it is chiefty under tillage, and there is no waste land: the drill system of husbandry prevails, and much general improvement has taken place. Stone for building is quarried in the parish: and a stream which falls into Bannow bay is navigable to Coolcliffe for lighters, which come up with the tide from the peninsula of Hook, laden with limestone for burning. Coolcliffe is the seat of Lieut.-Col. Sir W. Cox, Knt. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, united to the rectory of Taghmon; the impropriate rectorial tithes were granted to the incumbent by an instrument dated March 9th, 1610; the entire tithes amount to £82. 9. 10. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, also called Bannow, which comprises the parishes of Ballymitty, Bannow, Carrig, and Kilcavan, and the greater part of Ambrosetown; and contains a chapel at Ballymitty, a neat building with a residence for the clergyman, and another at Danes-castle, in the parish of Carrig. A school is about to be established under the superintendence of the R. C. clergyman; and there is a private pay school, in which are about 20 boys and 10 girls. On the grounds of Hill Town are the remains of an ancient castle, consisting of a square tower now converted into a barn.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballymitty from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.