BALLYMARTIN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER BELFAST, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 8 miles (N. N. W.) from Belfast; containing 721 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the Six-mile river, by which it is bounded on the north, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 2421¼ statute acres, including a detached portion of 560 acres: the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture is improving. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Connor, and is part of the union of Carmoney: the tithes amount to £150. There is neither church nor any place of worship in the parish; the inhabitants are chiefly Presbyterians, and attend the places of worship of that denomination in the neighbourhood. There is a school of 25 boys and 15 girls. The ruins of the ancient church still remain, and the churchyard is used as a burial-ground by most of the inhabitants.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballymartin from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Antrim is available to browse.