BALLYMAGARVEY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of MUNSTER. 6 miles (S.) from Slane; containing 401 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the Nannywater; the soil is fertile, the land in a high state of cultivation; and there are several flourishing plantations, which add to the pleasing character of the surrounding scenery, Ballymagarvey, the seat of Mrs. Osborne; Balrath, of Mrs. G. Tandy; Snugborough, of Lawrence Cruise Smyth, Esq.; and Mullafin, the property of H. Smith, Esq., are in the parish. There is a flour and corn-mill. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and is part of the union of Kentstown; the rectory is impropriate in the heirs of Sir Andrew Aylmer. The tithes amount to £140, of which £90 is payable to the impropriators, and £50 to the vicar. The glebe comprises 4¼ acres of profitable land, valued at £2. 10. per acre. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district called Blacklion, comprising the parishes of Ballymagarvey, Painstown, Ardmulchan, Brownstown, Kentstown, and Tymole, and containing two chapels, at Blacklion and Yellow Furze; the former is a plain thatched building. There is a pay school, in which are about 20 children.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballymagarvey from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.