Tor Moham, Devon
Tor Moham or Tor Mohun, a parish in Devonshire, statistically identical with Torquay town. The manor belonged to the Mohuns, passed to the Ridgways and the Carys, and belongs now to Lord Haldon. Tor Abbey was founded in the time of Henry II. by W. de Briwere for Premonstratensian monks, possessed very rich revenues, was given at the Dissolution to the Carys, underwent changes and additions, transmuting it into a mansion, and is still represented by considerable portions of the transmuted building, and by an interesting gateway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £180. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church of St Saviour, which is the parish church of Torquay, stands about a mile W of Torquay, and is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style; it has been restored and enlarged.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tor Moham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tor-Mohun, or Tor-Moham)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.