BALLYMACORMICK, a parish, partly in the barony of ARDAGH, but chiefly in that of MOYDOW, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 1½ mile (S.) from Longford; containing 3935 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Longford to Ballymahon, comprises 9641 statute acres, of which more than 3000 are bog and waste land: the cultivable lands are chiefly in tillage. On the lands of Mullaghavomeen coal is said to exist, but the vein has never been explored; and limestone and sandstone are found in all directions lying very near the surface. The Royal Canal runs through the parish, affording a facility of communication with Dublin. The only gentleman's seat is Rockspring House, the residence of W. Coates, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the. diocese of Ardagh, and is part of the union of Templemichael: the tithes amount to £200. The church, a neat building with a square tower, situated nearly in the centre of the parish, was erected in 1826, by a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe comprises 34a. 1r. 10p. valued at £70. 12. 6. per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Templemichael, the chapel of which is situated at Shrand. The parochial school is supported by local subscriptions and an annual grant from the Ardagh Diocesan Society, and there are three other schools, altogether affording instruction to 170 boys and 170 girls; there are also nine private schools, in which are about 280 boys and 140 girls, and a Sunday school. There are some remains of the old church; and on the lands of Ballinamore are the ruins of an old church and of an ancient fortress.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballymacormick from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Longford is available to browse.