BALLYLINNEY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER BELFAST, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 1½ mile (S. S. E.) from Ballyclare, on the road from Belfast to Doagh; containing 2412 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 5684 statute acres (including 320½ in Ballywalter grange), which are generally in a good state of cultivation. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, united from time immemorial to the vicarage of Cannoney and the rectory of Ballymartin; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Donegal. The tithes amount to £300, of which £200 is payable to the impropriator, and £100 to the vicar. The church was destroyed by the insurgents under the Earl of Tyrone, and has not been rebuilt; the churchyard is still used as a burial-ground by the parishioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Larne and Carrickfergus. There are three schools situated respectively at Bruslie, Palentine, and Ballylinney, in which are 114 boys and 95 girls; also two pay schools, in which are 58 boys and 77 girls.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballylinney from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Antrim is available to browse.