BALLYLARKIN, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1¾ mile (S. W.) from Freshford; containing 243 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Freshford to Johnstown, and comprises 4733 statute acres, of which £1370(sic) are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £1090 per annum: the lands are arable and pasture in nearly equal portions. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Canice, Kilkenny, to whom the rectory is appropriate. The tithes amount to £92. 6. 1¾., of which £61. 10. 9¼. is payable to the appropriators, and the remainder to the vicar. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe: the Protestant inhabitants attend divine service at Freshford church. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Freshford. Here are the ruins of a castle, once the seat of the Shortall family, which for a long time was of great note in this county.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballylarkin from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.