Ballykeane or Killeighy, Kings County
BALLYKEANE, or KILLEIGHY, a parish, partly in the barony of GEASHILL, but chiefty in that of UPPER PHILIPSTOWN, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (N. N. W.) from Portarlington; containing 2415 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Portarlington to Tullamore, and comprises 8069 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare; the former is united to that of Killaderry, and the latter is a distinct benefice, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £304. 12. 3¾., of which £203. 1. 6½. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is a handsome building, erected in 1821, by aid of a grant of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £120 from the same Board: the glebe comprises 7½ acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united with part of that of Geashill, in which union are three chapels, one at Ballykeane, and the others at Killeigh and Ballynegar in Geashill. A school, in which 17 boys and 16 girls are taught, is aided by subscriptions; and there are three private schools, in which are 90 boys and 55 girls, and four Sunday schools.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballykeane or Killeighy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Ballykeane or Killeighy)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for King's is available to browse.