UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ballyingley, Wexford

Historical Description

BALLYINGLEY, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Taghmon , containing 204 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the east bank of the Scar river, and contains 746 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. By a return to a regal visitation, in 1615, it appears to have been one of the mensals of the bishop of Ferus, which it still continues to be. It is one of the six parishes that constitute the union of Horetown, in the diocese of Ferns: the tithes amount to £31. 16. 11¼., of which £21. 4. 7½. is paid to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and £10. 12. 3¾. to the incumbent. The church is in ruins. The parish is within the R. C. district of Ballymitty.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ballyingley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.