BALLYHUSKARD, a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Enniscorthy; containing 2487 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Enniscorthy to Oulart, and contains Oulartleigh, the seat of Arthur Murphy, Esq.; and Ballycoursey, of Anthony Hawkins, Esq. The living consists of a rectory and perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Ferns; the former constitutes part of the union of St. Mary's, Enniscorthy, and the latter is in the patronage of the Rector; the tithes amount to £547. 13. 5.; the curate's stipend is £75 per annum. The church is a neat edifice with a tower, built in 1829. There is a glebe of 20 acres, but no glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Edermine, and partly in that of Oulart: the former portion contains the chapel of Glanbryan; and the latter, that of Ballincurry. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends. A parochial school is about to be established; and there are five hedge schools, in which are about 160 children, and a Sunday school. A specimen of the gigantic horned fossil deer of Ireland (cervus megaceros) was discovered near the bog of Itty, in this parish, in 1835; prior to which, portions of several others of the same species had been dug up near the same spot. This skeleton is in the possession of Dr. Macartney, of Enniscorthy, at whose expense it was dug out, and by whom it has been set up in an out-house adjoining his residence: its dimensions exceed those of the skeleton in the museum of Trinity College, Dublin.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballyhuskard from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.