BALLYHALBERT, a parish, in the barony of ARDES, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. E.) from Kirkcubbin: the population is returned with the union of St. Andrew's. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey (including islands), 4012 statute acres. The village, which in 1831 contained 322 inhabitants, is situated on the eastern coast, and on the road from Portaferry to Donaghadee: it contains about 70 houses, and is a coast-guard station, forming one of the twelve which constitute the district of Donaghadee. Off the coast is Burr Island, the most eastern point of land in Ireland. The parish is in the diocese of Down, and is one of the three of which the vicarages were consolidated by the 2nd of Queen Anne into the union of Ballywalter, or vicarage of St. Andrew's; the rectory is appropriate to the Lord-Primate. The tithes amount to £388. 2. 6., of which £258. 15. is payable to the appropriator, and £129. 7. 6. to the incumbent. On the next avoidance of the benefice of St. Andrew's, this parish will become a separate living, in the patronage of the Lord-Primate. There are some remains of the old church near the village. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Lower Ardes or Ballygelget. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster; also a school.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballyhalbert from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Down is available to browse.