BALLYGARTH, a parish, in the barony of LOWER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Balbriggan; containing 96 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the Nanny water, on the eastern coast, and is skirted on the west by the mail coach road from Dublin, by Balbriggan, to Drogheda. It comprises 810 statute acres, of which 758 are applotted under the tithe act: the lands are principally under grass, and the parish is remarkably well planted; the hedge-rows abound with thriving trees, and the scenery is generally pleasing. Ballygarth Castle, the seat of Lieut.-Col. T. Pepper, is picturesquely situated on the banks of the Nanny water; the demesne, which is well wooded, comprises 486 statute acres, and contains the ruins of the ancient parish church. Corballis House, the seat of J. Smith Taylor, Esq., is pleasantly situated in a demesne of 372 statute acres of fertile land. At the mouth of the Nanny water is a coast-guard station, which is one of the nine that constitute the district of Swords, The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Crown; the tithes amount to £62. There is neither church nor glebe-house; near the ruins of the old church are two acres of glebe, and there are other detached portions, amounting in the whole to four acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Stamullen.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.