BALLYELLIN, a parish, partly in the barony of ST. MULLIN'S, but chiefly in that of IDRONE EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, adjacent to Graigue and Goresbridge; containing 1760 inhabitants. This parish consists of two detached portions separated by the parish of Slyguff, one of which contains five townlands, and the other, two: it is bounded on the north by the river Barrow, which separates it from the county of Kilkenny, and over which there is a bridge at Goresbridge; and comprises 5266 statute acres, of which 4754 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £4052 per annum. Here is a quarry of black marble, used for tombstones and chimney pieces. Ballyellin House is the residence of Walter Blackney, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and forms part of the union of Lorum: the tithes amount to £413. 1. 6½. The ruins of the church are situated within a burial-ground near the road from Borris to Goresbridge. In the R. C. divisions it is in the union or district of Bagnalstown or Dunleckney. On the lands of Clowater are the ruins of a castle.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballyellin from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carlow is available to browse.