BALLYEASTON, a district parish, in the barony of UPPER ANTRIM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Ballyclare to Laroe; containing with the post-town of Ballyclare and the grange of Doagh, 5892 inhabitants. It consists of the ancient parishes of Ballycoe and Rashee, comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 13,790½ statute acres; about one-half of which are arable. The village, which is 1½ Irish mile (N.) from Ballyclare, is situated at the junction of several roads, near the Six-mile-water, and in 1831 contained 61 houses. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Connor, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Carncastle: the income of the curate is £103. 1. 6½. per ann., of which £69. 4. 7½. arises from tithe, £13. 6. 11. is added by the prebendary, and £20 from Primate Boulter's fund. The church was erected in 1786. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Carrickfergus and Larne. There are four places of worship for Presbyterians; one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the first class; one with the Presbytery of Antrim, of the second class; one with the Seceding Synod, also of the second class; and one for Covenanters, which is open every alternate Sunday. There are four schools, in which are about 140 boys and 90 girls; also nine pay schools, in which are about 160 boys and 110 girls. -See BALLYCLARE and DOAGH.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballyeaston from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Antrim is available to browse.