BALLYCARRY, a village, in the parish of TEMPLECORRAN, barony of LOWER BELFAST, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Carrickfergus; containing 247 inhabitants. This village is pleasantly situated about a mile from the shore of Lough Larne, opposite to Island Magee, and on the road from Carrickfergus to Larne: it comprises about 50 houses, and the inhabitants are partly employed in the spinning of yarn and weaving of linen cloth, and partly in agriculture. There is a penny post to Carrickfergus and Larne; and fairs are held on June 21st, Aug. 19th, and Oct. 31st. Here are the ruins of the ancient parish church, formerly a spacious and handsome cruciform structure.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballycarry from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Antrim is available to browse.