Ballyburley or Primult, Kings County
BALLYBURLEY, or PRIMULT, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER PHILIPSTOWN, but chiefly in that of WARRENSTOWN, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Edenderry; containing, with the parish of Coolcor, 1672 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the road from Edenderry to Philipstown, and comprises 5291 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The arable land is excellent, and in a very high state of cultivation: the Scottish system of agriculture, including a rotation of corn and green crops, with drill husbandry, was extensively and successfully introduced about twenty years since by G. and S. Rait, Esqrs. Limestone abounds, and is chiefly used for building and for making roads; a portion is burnt for lime. The parish is bounded on one side by the Yellow river, a stream deriving its name from the quantity of oxyde of iron with which the water is impregnated; on the north passes the Grand Canal, in its course to Tullamore. The principal seats are Ballyburley, that of J . Wakely, Esq., a fine old mansion in the Elizabethan style; Green Hill, of F. Longworth Dames, Esq.; Rathmoyle, of G. Rait, Esq.; Clonin, of S. Rait, Esq.; and Coolville, of T. Grattan, Esq. Petty sessions are held every alternate Wednesday at Fahy, near the village of Rhode. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, to which the rectory of Coolcor was united by act of council, forming by prescription one benefice in the patronage of J. Wakely, Esq.: the tithes amount to £285. The church is a small neat building, erected in 1686 by J. Wakely, as appears from a stone over the doorway, bearing a rude sculpture of the founder's arms and a Latin inscription; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £136 for its repair. Within is a curious ancient monument representing in rude relief the family arms and the effigy of a warrior dressed in the full military costnme of the age, with an inscription underneath, purporting that it wu erected by T. Wakely, Esq., of this place, in memory of his wife Maud, daughter of Alderman W. Handcock, of Dublin, who died May 3rd, 1617, and also to the memory of himself and Catherine Cusack, sister of Maud: it further states that Thomas was the son of John Wakely, Esq., captain of 100 horse and 100 foot in the beginning of Queen Elizabeth's reign, which he governed to the advancement of her highness' service. There is neither glebe nor glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Castropetre, or Edenderry: the chapel, which is situated at Rhode, is a large and well-built edifice in the form of a T. There is a school in connection with the Established Church, supported by subscription, to which children of all denominations are admissible.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballyburley or Primult from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Ballyburley or Primult)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for King's is available to browse.