Ballybrittas, Queens County
BALLYBRITTAS, a village and post-town, in the parish of LEA, barony of PORTNAHINCH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 6¼ miles (N. E.) from Maryborough, and 33 miles (S. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 168 inhabitants. This place is celebrated for a battle which was fought here, in the reign of Elizabeth, between a part of the army of the Earl of Essex and the Irish, led by the chieftains O'Dempsey and O'Moore, in which the former was defeated; and from the circumstance of the latter cutting off the high plumes worn by the English, the scene of the conflict was called "the Pass of Plumes." The village, which is situated on the high road from Dublin to Maryborough, consists of about 30 houses neatly built, and has a pleasing appearance. In the vicinity are Bellegrove, the residence of G. Adair, Esq.; Glenmalire, of H. Trench, Esq.; Rath, of T. Trench, Esq.; the Derries, of R. M. Alloway, Esq.; and Ashfield, of H. Birch, Esq. Fairs are held on March 25th, May 12th, and Aug. 15th; petty sessions are held every Monday; and here is a station of the constabulary police, also a dispensary. Near the village were formerly the remains of an ancient castle, which belonged to the O'Dempseys, Lords of Glenmalire, and was destroyed in the time of Cromwell.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballybrittas from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.