Ballyboggan or De-Laude-Dei, Meath
BALLYBOGGAN, or DE-LAUDE-DEI, a parish, in the barony of UPPER MOYFENRAGH, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (S. W.) from Clonard, on the river Boyne, and on the road from Kinnepod to Edenderry; containing 1477 inhabitants. A priory for Augustine Canons was founded here in the 12th century by Jordan Comin, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity; it was consumed by fire in the beginning of 1446, and in the following year its prior died of the plague. In the 33rd of Hen. VIII. it was granted with various other poesessions, to Sir William Bermingham, afterwards created Lord Carbrey, in capite, at an annual rent of £4. 3. 4.; and the reversion was, in the 41st of Elizabeth, granted to Edward Fitzgerald and his heirs: there are some remains of the buildings on the north-west bank of the river Boyne. There is a small quantity of bog in the parish. New Park is the property of the Rev. J. Digby. A fair for cattle is held on the 25th of September. It is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, episcopally united to that of Castlejordan; the rectory is impropriate in the Gifford family. The tithes amount to £220, the whole payable to the impropriator, who allows the perpetual curate £30 per annum. In the R. C. divisions the parish also forms part of the union or district of Castlejordan. There are two pay schools, in which are 80 boys and 11 girls; and a dispensary.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballyboggan or De-Laude-Dei from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Ballyboggan or De-Laude-Dei)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.