BALLON, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (S. E.) from Tullow; containing 1439 inhabitants, of which number, 161 are in the village. This parish is situated on the road from Newtown-Barry to Carlow, and comprises 3520 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: it is principally grazing land; the state of agriculture is much improved; and in Ballon hill is a quarry of fine granite. The gentlemen's seats are Larogh, the residence of J. O'Brien, Esq.; and Altamount, of Nelson St. George, Esq. Fairs are held here on March 28th, and Aug. 12th. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and is part of the union of Aghade: the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry. The tithes amount to £220 of which £140 is payable to the impropriator, and £80 to the incumbent. In the R. C. divisions, this parish forms part of the union or district of Gilbertstown, called also Ballon and Ratoe: the chapel, situated in the village of Ballon, is in good repair. In the village is also a school for boys and girls, for which the school-house was built by R. Marshall, Esq.; and there is another at Conaherry. These schools afford instruction to about 160 boys and 160 girls; and there are two hedge schools, in which are about 190 boys and 130 girls.
Findmypast, in association with the National Library of Ireland, have the following Catholic parish records online for Ballon and Rathoe:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballon from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carlow is available to browse.