Ballintubber or Fonstown, Queens County
BALLINTUBBER, or FONSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of BALLYADAMS, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3¼ miles (W. by S.) from Athy: the population is returned with the parish of Ballyadams. This parish is situated on the road from Maryborough to Carlow; agriculture is improving, there is a small quantity of bog, and limestone is quarried for building. Kellyville, the residence of the late Judge Kelly, is now the property of Thos. Kelly, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, united to that of Ballyadams, and its tithes are included in the composition for that parish. The church of the union, a neat small edifice in good repair, is situated here, and adds greatly to the pleasing appearance of the village. In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Ballyadams. The schools are noticed in the description of that parish.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballintubber or Fonstown from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Ballintubber or Fonstown)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.