BALLINGARRY, a parish, in the barony of COSTLEA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Kilfinnan, on the road to Galbally; containing 2497 inhabitants. The land is generally good, and some recent improvements in tillage have been introduced by Mr. Gabbet, who has an excellent farm managed upon the most approved principles of modern agriculture. The surface is varied, and there are some hills of considerable elevation, of which the Black mountain and Slieve-Reagh are the principal, stretching westward towards Kilfinnan, and every where affording excellent pasture for numerous herds of young cattle and flocks of sheep. Near Grierston, on the border of the parish, is a very extensive and valuable bog; in the midst of it rises a copious stream flowing southward towards Mitchelstown, and also another flowing northward and forming part of the Daun. Fairs are held at Ballinvreena, also on the border of the parish, on April 21st, June 21st, Aug. 31st, and Nov. 19th, for horses, cattle, and pigs. There are several large and handsome houses. The principal of which are Annagurra, the residence of Thos. T. Adams, Esq., and Grierston, the fine old family mansion of the Masseys. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Emly, and forms part of the union and corps of the prebend of Killenellick in the cathedral church of Emly: the tithes amount to £250. The church is a ruin situated on a gentle elevation, and forming a conspicuous object. The glebe comprises six plantation acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is a large modern edifice in the village of Glenbrohane. There are two pay schools, in which are about 160 children.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballingarry from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.