UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ballinamuck, Longford

Historical Description

BALLINAMUCK, a village, in that part of the parish of KILLOE, which is in the barony and county of LONGFORD, in the province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (N.) from Longford, on the road from Newtown-Forbes to Arvagh; containing 30 houses and 163 inhabitants. The remainder of the French army under Gen. Humbert, which had landed in Kilcummin bay on the 22d of August, 1798, for the assistance of the insurgent forces, made a final stand in the neighbourhood, where, being surrounded by the English army under Lord Cornwallis, they were compelled to surrender on the 9th of the following month. Having arrived on the preceding evening, the French forces were closely pursued by Col. Crawford and Gen. Lake; while Lord Cornwallis, with the grand army, crossing the river at Carrick-on-Shannon, advanced to St. Johnstown to intercept their progress to Granard. Col. Crawford having attacked their rear, about 200 of the infantry surrendered themselves prisoners; the remainder continued to defend themselves for about half an hour, when, on the appearance of the main body of the army under Gen. Lake, they also surrendered. The number of Gen. Humbert's army at the time of their surrender was reduced to 96 officers and 748 privates. Here is a station of the constabulary police, also a quarry of fine freestone.See KILLOE.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ballinamuck from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Longford is available to browse.