BALLINAMORE, a market and post-town, in the parish of OUTRAGH, barony of CARRIGALLEN, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 19½ miles (W.) from Cavan, and 77½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 312 inhabitants. This town, which is situated on the road from Killyshandra, and intersected by a small river, consists of 63 neatly built houses, and a considerable number of straggling cottages. It was formerly the seat of the iron manufacture, and works were established for smelting the ore found in the vicinity. The market, which is on Tuesday, is one of the largest in the county for grain and provisions; and fairs are held on the 15th of February, May 19th, Aug. 16th, and Nov. 19th. It is a constabulary police station; petty sessions are held irregularly; and the quarter sessions for the southern division of the county are held here in April and October. A court-house has been recently erected, to which is attached a bridewell containing four cells, with apartments for the keeper; the cost of the building was £2200, of which £1200 was lent by Government, to be repaid by instalments: it is also in contemplation to build a market-house. The parish church, a R. C. chapel, and a place of worship for Methodists, are situated in the town. Near it is Garadise Lough, a considerable sheet of water, on the shore of which is Garradice, the seat of W. C. Percy, Esq.; and there are several other lakes in the vicinity.-See OUTRAGH.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballinamore from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leitrim is available to browse.