Tawstock, a parish, with Tawstock village and nine hamlets, in Devonshire, on the river Taw, 2 miles S by E of Barnstaple station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Barnstaple; money order and telegraph office, Barnstaple. Acreage, 6597; population, 1206. The manor belonged to the Tracys, passed to the Audleighs, the Fitzwarrens, the Bourchiers, and the Wreys, and with Tawstock House belongs now to the baronet family of Wrey. Old Tawstock House was garrisoned in 1646 by Fairfax, and is now represented by only an ancient gateway. New Tawstock House was burnt down and rebuilt in 1787. The living is a rectory, with Harracott annexed, in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £700 with residence. The church is old and cruciform, with a central tower. A chapel of ease is at Harracott. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tawstock St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Barnstaple|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tawstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tawstock (St. Peter))
Online maps of Tawstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cCollibear
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.