Tamerton Foliott, Devon
Tamerton Foliot, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 4 miles N by W of Plymouth station on the G.W.R., is supposed by Camden to be the Roman Tamara on Icknield Street, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Crown Hill. The parish comprises 4776 acres; population, 1118. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Maristow, the residence of the Lopes family, Warleigh, and Looseleigh are fine mansions, and there are numerous other excellent residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £210 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, dedicated to St Mary, is Perpendicular, with nave, N and S aisles, and a handsome embattled tower with six bells. The nave and S aisle were rebuilt in 1851, and the N aisle in 1895. There are an endowed school and a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tamerton-Folliott St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tamerton Foliott from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tamerton-Folliott (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.