Talaton, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, 1¼ mile from Sidmouth station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Ottery St Mary; money order office, Whimple; telegraph office, Sidmouth station. Acreage, 2411; population of the civil parish, 436; of the ecclesiastical, 377. The manor, with Escott House, belongs to the baronet family of Kennaway. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £380 with residence. The church was restored in 1860. Part of Escott chapelry is within the limits.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Talaton St. James|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Talaton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Talaton (St. James))
Online maps of Talaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.