Aughavea or Aghaveagh, Fermanagh
AUGHAVEA, or AGHAVEAGH, a parish, in the harony of MAGHERASTEPHENA, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Limaskea to Five-mile-town; containing, with the post-town of Brookborough, 6281 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 17,142 statute acres, of which 10,096 are applotted under the tithe act. About 17½ acres are water, and nearly one-fourth of the land is bog or mountain, the former affording good fuel, and the latter pasturage for cattle; there is no waste land but what may occur from neglect or from a bad system of cultivation. The greater portion of the land is under tillage, and the system of agriculture is improving. There are some excellent quarries of freestone, which is raised for building and for other uses. The principal seats are Nutfield, the residence of Lady Brook; Abbey Lodge, of J. Macartney, Esq.; Greenhill, of Major Irvine; Whitepark, of A. Bailey, Esq.; and Gola, of Major Dundas. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £300; there are 14 townlands in the parish, the tithes of which are annexed to the old abbey of Lisdoune, in the possession of the Leonard family, and are not included in the applotment under the tithe act. The church is a plain edifice, erected by aid of a gift of £200 and a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813; and divine service is also performed every Sunday in the school-house at Brookborough. The glebe-house is a handsome modern building; the glebe comprises 43 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Aughalurcher, and has a chapel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Brookborough, where is the parochial school, supported under the patronage of Sir A. H. Brooke, Bart. There are also five other schools in the parish.-See BROOKBOROUGH.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aughavea or Aghaveagh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Aughavea or Aghaveagh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Fermanagh is available to browse.