Aughanunchon or Aghaninshon, Donegal
AUGHANUNCHON, or AGHANINSHON, a parish, in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Letterkenny; containing 1848 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on Lough Swilly, and on the road from Letterkenny to Ramelton, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4011½ statute acres, including 184¼ acres of tideway. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £147. The church is in a very dilapidated state. The glebehouse, a comfortable residence, was built in 1782, by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 300 acres. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Aughnish. The parochial school is supported by an endowment from Col. Robertson's fund, aided by the rector; and there are two other schools.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aughanunchon or Aghaninshon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Aughanunchon or Aghaninshon)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Donegal is available to browse.