Sydenham Damerel, Devon
Sydenham Damerel or South Sydenham, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, on the river Tamar, 4½ miles WNW of Tavistock station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Tavistock; money order and telegraph office, Tavistock. Acreage, 1396; population, 351. The manor belonged to the Damerells, and passed to the Carpenters. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £260 with residence. The church is ancient. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sydenham-Damarel St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sydenham Damerel from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sydenham-Damarel, or South Sydenham (St. Mary))
Online maps of Sydenham Damerel are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.