Aughaloo or Aughloe, Tyrone
AUGHALOO, or AUGHLOE, a parish, in the barony of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town of Caledon, 10,140 inhabitants. This parish, which is the most easterly in the county, is bounded on the east by the river Blackwater, and is situated on the mail coach road from Armagh to Aughnacloy; it contains, according to the Ordnance survey, 19,583¾ statute acres, of which 140 are under water. The surface is pleasingly undulated and well planted and watered; the lands are in a high state of cultivation, the system of agriculture is greatly improved, and there is little waste land and only a small portion of bog. There are several gentlemen's seats, of which the principal are Caledon Hill, the seat of the Earl of Caledon; Crilly, of R. Pettigrew, Esq; Rabaghy, of N. Mayne, Esq.; and Drummond, or Cottage Hill, of H. Moore, Esq. It is in the diocese of Armagh, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the corps of the archdeaconry of Armagh and the union of Carrenteel; the tithes amount to £609. 4. 7. The church is situated in the town of Caledon. A perpetual curacy was founded here in 1807, by the archdeacon, who endowed it with £50 per annum and 26½ acres of glebe; it has also an augmentation from Primate Boulter's fund, and is in the gift of the Archdeacon. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Aughaloo and Carrenteel; the chapel is at Caledon. There are three places of worship for Presbyterians, at Minterburn, Crillig, and Caledon, the last in connection with the Seceding Synod and of the second class: there is also an Independent meeting-house, but no regular service is performed in it. The parochial school is at Caledon; there are male and female schools at Ramakit, Curlough, Minterburn, and Dyan, built and chiefly supported by the Earl of Caledon; a school near the demesne was built and is supported by the Countess of Caledon, in which 40 girls are clothed and educated; and a school at Rahaghy is under the National Board. These schools alford instruction to about 580 boys and 370 girls; and there are also five private schools, in which are about 100 boys and 150 girls, and 14 Sunday schools. Close to a stream that separates the union of Carrenteel from the parish of Errigal-Kerogue is a sulphuric spring, resembling in its properties the Harrogate waters, but wanting their purgative quality: it has been enclosed in a small house erected over it by an individual who had received benefit from the use of the water. At Glenarb are the remains of a monastery with a burial-ground, and numerous stone crosses have been discovered.-See CALEDON.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aughaloo or Aughloe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Aughaloo or Aughloe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Tyrone is available to browse.