UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Arles, Queens County

Historical Description

ARLES, a village, in that part of the parish of KILLEBAN which is in the barony of SLIEUMARGUE, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. W. by N.) from Carlow; containing 205 inhabitants. This place, which contains about 40 houses, is situated on the road from Carlow to Maryborough. The manufacture of tiles of excellent quality for roofing and flooring, and which were sent to Dublin and other places, where they were in much request, formerly prevailed here, but has been in a great degree superseded by the use of slates, and is now nearly extinct; the manufacture of yarn and linen is carried on to a small extent. There is a Roman Catholic chapel in the village, belonging to the union or district of Killeban; and in the chapel-yard is a neat mausoleum belonging to the Grace family: it is 21 feet in length and 16 feet in breadth, with a gabled roof, terminating at each corner with crocketed pinnacles: it was erected in 1818, and the prevailing character is that of the later English style. Near the chapel a building has been lately erected for a school, now in connection with the National Board of Education.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Arles from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.