Stoodleigh, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, 6 miles NNW of Tiverton station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Tiverton; telegraph office, Bampton. Acreage, 4473; population, 398. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Stoodleigh Beacon was erected on Warbrightleigh Hill by Edward II., and has left some remains. The village is supposed to be the highest in Devonshire. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £245 with residence. The church is ancient, has an embattled tower, and was restored in 1880 at a cost of about £300.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stoodleigh St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoodleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stoodleigh (St. Margaret))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.