ARDCAVAN, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, adjoining the town of Wexford, (with which it is connected by the bridge), and containing 878 inhabitants. It is situated on the eastern shore of the estuary of the Slaney, and comprises 2370 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Ely House, the property of the Marquess of Ely, is situated near the bridge, at the southern extremity of the parish, and is the residence of R. Hughes, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is an impropriate cure, forming part of the union of Ardcolme; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £139. 18. 1¾., of which £73. 1. 10¾. is payable to the impropriator, and £66. 16. 3. to the curate. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Castlebridge, where the chapel is situated, and the greater part of which village is within its limits. Near the shore of Wexford harbour are the ruins of the old church; and at Ballytramont there are considerable remains of the ancient castle of that name. An extensive coppice wood, comprising about 65 statute acres, stretches along the estuary from the latter place.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ardcavan from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.