Ardcandridge or Ardcandrisk, Wexford
ARDCANDRIDGE, or ARDCANDRISK, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (W. by N.) from Wexford, containing 242 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Slaney, by which it is bounded on the north, and on the road from Wexford along the south bank of the river, by way of Clonmore, to Enniscorthy: it comprises 1144 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is chiefly under tillage, which has gradually improved since the introduction of the drill system of husbandry. Ardcandrisk House, the seat of G. Grogan Morgan, Esq., the proprietor of the soil, was built in 1833, and is beautifully situated on a wooded eminence rising above the Slaney, and commanding a very fine and extensive prospect. The Slaney is navigable for lighters up to Enniscorthy, affording facility for the conveyance of corn and other agricultural produce to Wexford, and for bringing coal and other commodities from that port. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and the rectory is one of the sixteen denominations constituting the union of St. Patrick's, Wexford: the tithes amount to £.48. 18. 6½. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Glyn, a village in the parish of Killurin.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ardcandridge or Ardcandrisk from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Ardcandridge or Ardcandrisk)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.