ANNAMOE, a village, in the parish of DERRALOSSORY, barony of BALLINACOR, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 6¼ miles (S. W.) from Newtown-Mount-Kennedy; containing 67 inhabitants. This small village is situated in a sequestered spot, where a small valley opens on the east into the beautiful and romantic vale through which the river Annamoe flows in its descent from Lough Dan. The scenery is richly diversified, and in the vicinity are several gentlemen's seats, among which is Castle Kevin, the residence of Dr. Frizell, occupying a lofty eminence richly planted with firs and other forest trees, and commanding an extensive and delightful view. About half a mile to the northwest of the village is Dromeen, the seat of Captain Hugo, situated in a demesne tastefully laid out; near it is the glebe-house of Derralossory, and in the neighbourhood is Lara House, the residence of Robert Burrowes, Esq., from which is a most extensive mountain view. A daily penny post from Newtown-Mount-Kennedy has been established; and here is a small neat R. C. chapel belonging to the union or district of Glendalough. At a short distance up the valley, at the head of which the village is situated, is the site of Castle Kevin, supposed to have been originally built by the O'Tooles, a spacious quadrangular area encompassed by a deep ditch and rampart, which, with some of the foundations, is all that remains of that ancient fortress. Lawrence Sterne, when a child, was on a visit with his father at the parsonage-house for about six months, during which period occurred the circumstance which he relates of his falling through a mill-race, while the mill was at work, and being taken up unhurt.-See DERRALOSSORY.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Annamoe from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wicklow is available to browse.