Annaduff or Annaghduff, Leitrim
ANNADUFF, or ANNAGHDUFF, a parish, partly in the barony of MOHILL, but chiefly in that of LEITRIM, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with the post-town of Drumsna, 5858 inhabitants. This place is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Sligo, and on the river Shannon, which here forms the beautiful and picturesque loughs of Bodarig and Boffin. An abbey was founded here in 766; but there are no further accounts of it, and the only vestiges are a few curious stones worked into the window in the south gable of the ancient parish church, the ruins of which are in the present churchyard. In the reign of Jas. II. a skirmish took place here between the partisans of that monarch and the troops of Wm. III., at a ford over the river Shannon, near Derryearne, and the spot is still called James's Heap. The parish comprises 8428 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6871. 4. 10. per annum: it is principally under an improving system of tillage. There is a tract of bog, affording a good supply of fuel: limestone of inferior quality is quarried, and freestone is found in the vicinity of Drumod. Iron ore exists in various parts, particularly near Drumod. The principal seats are Mount Campbell, the handsome residence of Admiral Sir Josias Rowley, Bart.; Derrycarne, of F. Nisbett, Esq., surrounded by a well planted demesne and picturesquely situated between the two loughs, Bodarig and Boffin; Lismoyle, of T. Waldron, Esq.; and the residence of Messrs. Walsh, near Drumsna, commanding extensive views of the Shannon and surrounding country. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and in the patronage of the Bishop: : the tithes amount to £262. 13. 1. The church is a neat edifice, in the later English style, with a square tower crowned with minarets, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815, granted a loan of £1600. There is also a chapel of ease at Drumod. The glebe-house is a good residence, and the glebe comprises 300 acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: the chapel, at Aughamore, is in a very bad state of repair, and it is in contemplation to erect a new one as soon as a convenient site can be obtained, Divine service is also performed in a school-house. There are four schools, affording instruction to about 120 boys and 180 girls; also six pay schools, in which are about 210 boys and 100 girls, and two Sunday schools. -See DRUMOD and DRUMSNA.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Annaduff or Annaghduff from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Annaduff or Annaghduff)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leitrim is available to browse.