ANADORN, a village, in the parish of LOUGHAM ISLAND, barony of KINELEARTY, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N.) from Clough; containing 93 inhabitants. This place, with an extensive surrounding district, formerly belonged to the ancient and powerful family of the McCartans, who had a castle here, situated on an eminence, or mound, now called Castlehill; but McCartan having joined in the rebellion of the Earl of Tyrone, his estates became forfeited to the crown. The village is situated on the road from Ballynahinch and Hillsborough to Downpatrick: it appears to have been much neglected, but it has been recently purchased by Col. Forde, who has already commenced a series of improvements. Fairs are held on May 14th and Nov. 8th.-See LOUGHAM ISLAND.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Anadorn from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Down is available to browse.