Anacloan or Annaghlone, Down
ANACLOAN, or ANNAGHLONE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Banbridge, on the river Bann, and on the road from Banbridge to Castlewellan, containing 3426 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 6544½ statute acres: the lands are fertile and in a high state of cultivation; there is no waste land, and only about 200 acres of bog, which is daily becoming more scarce and valuable. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Dromore, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £188. 3. 8. The church is a neat small edifice in good repair. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £200 and a loan of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1818: the glebe comprises 204 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also that of Drumballyroney, and containing a chapel in each parish. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster and the Seceding Synod; the former of the third, and the latter of the second class. There are three schools, affording instruction to about 190 boys and 100 girls; also four private schools, in which are about 90 boys and 60 girls. Near the church is Tanvally fort, one of the largest and most perfect in this part of the country, and within sight of it are many others of smaller dimensions.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Anacloan or Annaghlone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Anacloan or Annaghlone)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Down is available to browse.