UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ambrosetown, Wexford

Historical Description

AMBROSETOWN, a parish, in the barony of BARGY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Taghmon; containing, with the extraparochial townlands of Ballingeal and Rochestown, 1045 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2274 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: it is partly under tillage and partly in pasture, and contains an entirely exhausted bog, part of which has been reclaimed and is now under cultivation, and the remainder is grazed. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and forms part of the union of Duncormuck: the tithes amount to £138. 9. 2¾. In the R. C. divisions it is partly within the union or district of Rathangan, or Duncormuck, but chiefly in that of Carrig. A school, in which are about 50 boys and 30 girls, is aided by Mr. Morgan, of Johnstown , and there is a private school of about 20 children.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ambrosetown from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.