UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stoke Fleming, Devon

Historical Description

Stoke Fleming, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, on the coast, 2 miles SW of Dartmouth station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 2259; population of the civil parish, 664; of the ecclesiastical, 747. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belonged to the Flemings, and passed to the Mohuns, the Carews, the Southcotes, the Scales, and the Nethertons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £600 with residence. The church is ancient. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
Ecclesiastical parishStoke-Fleming St. Peter 
HundredColeridge 
Poor Law unionKingsbridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1538.

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Stoke Fleming


Churches

Church of England

St. Peter (parish church)

The church of St. Peter is an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a lofty embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells, all cast in 1777: in the nave is a brass with rich embattled canopy and effigies, to John Corp, ob. December 2, 1351, and his granddaughter Eleanor, ob. April 23rd, 1391; the epitaph is in Norman-French and Latin; there is also an inscription in English verse, with shield of arms, to Elias Newcomen, ob. 13th July, 1614, rector of this place, and great-grandfather of Thomas Newcomen, of Dartmouth, the inventor of the steam engine: in the tower is the recumbent effigy of a lady, in the costume of the latter part of the 13th century and holding a book in the left hand; it is supposed to represent Eleanor (Mohun), wife of Sir John Carew: the very handsome brass chandelier in the chancel was the gift of Sir Thomas Freake bart. of Warfleet, Dartmouth: there are 350 sittings: the whole fabric was repaired and reseated in 1871, under the direction of J. P. St. Aubyn esq. architect.

St. Peter, Stoke Fleming Nave of St. Peter, Stoke Fleming


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Fleming from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Stoke Fleming are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.

DistrictSouth Hams
CountyDevon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTQ6
Post TownDartmouth