Aharney, Agharney or Lisdowney, Kilkenny
AHARNEY, or AGHARNEY, also called LISDOWNEY, a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, but chiefly in that of GALMOY, county of KILKENNY, and in the province of LEINSTER, S miles (S. by E.) from Durrow, on the road to Kilkenny; containing 2156 inhabitants. It comprises 6809 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4616 per ann., and is nearly equally divided between tillage and pasturage; there is plenty of limestone, used both for building and burning. At Ballyconra is an extensive flour-mill, capable of manufacturing 16,000 barrels of flour annually; and there is another at the bridge of Ballyragget, both carried on by John Mosse, Esq. Ballyconra, situated in a fine demesne on the banks of the Nore, is the ancient seat of the family of Butler, Earls of Kilkenny, and is the occasional residence of the Hon. Col. Pierce Butler. A manor court is held at Clontubrid once a month, the jurisdiction of which extends over part of this parish. The living consists of a rectory and a vicarage, in the, diocese of Ossory, the former united to the rectory of Attanagh, and the latter forming part of the vicarial union of Attanagh: the tithes amount to £340. of which £226. 13. 4. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a district, called the union of Lisdowney, comprising the parishes of Aharney, Sheffin, Balleen, Coolcashin, and parts of Rathbeagh and Grange, and containing three chapels; that of Lisdowney, with a schoolhouse attached, was built by subscription, About 100 boys and 100 girls are taught in the school, and about 80 boys and 40 girls in two pay schools; there is also a Sunday school. The parochial church is in ruins; on the demesne of Ballyconra, where is the burialplace of the family of Butler, are other remains; and on the opposite side of the river there is a Danish fort.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aharney, Agharney or Lisdowney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Aharney, Agharney or Lisdowney)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.