Stoke Damerel, Devon
Stoke Damerel, a suburb and a parish in Devonshire. The suburb adjoins the NE side of Devonport, 1 mile from Devonport station on the G.W.R.; contains edificed terraces and numerous villas, and commands superb views over Plymouth Sound. The parish contains also Morice Town and Devonport, and is co-extensive with the borough of Devonport. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Devonport; population, 16,681. The manor belonged from the Norman Conquest till the time of Edward III. to the Damerels, and passed to successively the Wises, the Morices, and the St Aubyns. The parish church of St Andrew is a building of stone of 14th century date, with an embattled tower. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £1050 with residence. Patron, Lord St Levan. St Michael's Church was erected in 1845, and is a stone structure in the Gothic style. The living is a vicarage; gross value, £370. There are Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels, and a mission chapel, as well as the handsome church of St Barnabas, erected in 1894.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
We are in the process of transcribing the marriages at Stoke Damerel from 1837 - 1900
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Damerel from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stoke-Damerall)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.