Stoke Canon, Devon
Stoke Canon, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, near the confluence of the rivers Exe and Culm, with a station on the G.W.R., 186 miles from London, and 4 NNE of Exeter. It has a post and telegraph office under Exeter; money order office, Brampford Speke. Acreage, 1265; population, 363. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor was given by King Athelstan to Exeter cathedral, and the greater part of the parish belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners as part of the Exeter Chapter estates. The parsonage and twenty-three other houses were destroyed in 1847 in consequence of a cinder having been blown from a passing railway engine. The living is an ancient perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £230 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is of the 13th century, has been partially rebuilt and restored. There is a small Plymouth Brethren chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stoke-Cannon St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Canon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stoke-Cannon (St. Mary Magdalene))
Online maps of Stoke Canon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.