Chilton Foliatt, Berkshire
Chilton-Foliatt, a parish in Wilts and Berks, on the river Kennet, 2½ miles NW by W of Hungerford station on the G.W.R. It includes the hamlet of Leverton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hungerford. Acreage, 3494; population, 525. The manor belonged to the Foliatts; passed to the Warines and others; and was given by Sutton to the Charterhouse. Chilton House and Chilton Lodge are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £595 with residence. The church is very good, and contains some old monuments. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chilton Foliatt from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Chilton Foliatt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.