AGHADE, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (S.) from Tullow, on the river Slaney, and on the road from Tullow to Newtownbarry; containing 368 inhabitants. It comprises 1614 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is partly arable and partly pasture; a great portion of the latter is marshy, but might be improved by draining; the state of agriculture is very good. There are quarries of limestone and of a fine species of granite for building. Ballykealy is the residence of J. J. Lecky, Esq. The living is an impropriate curacy, endowed with two-thirds of the entire tithes, to which the vicarage of Ballon was recently united, and in the diocese of Leighlin and patronage of the Bishop; the remainder of the tithes are impropriate in Lord Downes. It was episcopally united, in 1710, to the rectory of Gilbertstown and the vicarages of Ardristin and Ballon, which union was dissolved in 1830, and divided into three distinct benefices, The tithes amount to £135, of which £45 is payable to the impropriator and £90 to the incumbent; and the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £170. The church, which is pleasantly situated on rising ground above a small stream, is a plain old building in indifferent repair, and is about to be newly roofed, for which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £591. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Ballon and Ratoe, or district of Gilbertstown. There is a school, in which 57 boys are taught.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aghade from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carlow is available to browse.