Aghaboe or Aughavoe, Queens County
AGHABOE, or AUGHAVOE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Dublin to Roscrea; containing, with the post-town of Burros-in-Ossory, 6196 inhabitants. This place, originally called Achadh-Bho, and signifying in the Irish language "the field of an ox" derived that name from the fertility of its soil and the luxuriance of its pastures. It was celebrated at a very early period as the residence of St. Canice, who, in the 6th century, founded a monastery here for the cultivation of literature and religions discipline; and so great was his reputation for learning and sanctity, that a town was soon formed around it for the reception of his numerous disciples. The town soon afterwards became the seat of a diocese, comprehending the district of Ossory, and the church of the monastery was made the cathedral of the see of Aghaboe. This see continued, under a succession of bishops, to retain its episcopal distinction till near the close of the 12th century when Felix O'Dullany, the last bishop, was compelled by the submission of Donchad, Prince of Ossory, to Hen. II., to remove the seat of his diocese to Kilkenny. The parish comprises 17,311 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The rich and extensive vale in which it is seated lies between the mountains of Cullahill, on the south-east, and the Slieve Bloom range on the north-west, which separates the Queen's from the King's county. The soil is generally fertile, and in a tract of about 40 acres behind the church, said to have been the site of the ancient town, and afterwards of the abbey gardens, it is remarkably rich: the system of agriculture is improving, and there is a considerable tract of bog, but not sufficient to provide fuel for the use of the inhabitants. The substratum is limestone, of which there are several quarries; at Knockaroe is found a brown slate; and at Carrig and Carrigeen are some rocks of granite. The gentlemen's seats are Cuffsborough, the residence of J. Palmer, Esq.; Ballybrophy, of T. White, Esq.; Old Park, of R. White, Esq.; Middlemount, of R. Roe, Esq,; Lismore, of W. White, Esq., Knockfinne, of Capt. Mosse; Kilmaseene, of W. Pilkington, Esq.; the Glebe-house, of the Rev. T. Thacker; Aghaboe House, of J. Banks, Esq.; Gortnaclea, of P. Roe. Esq.; and Ballicolla Cottage, of W. Calbeck, Esq. Fairs are held at Burros eight times in the year; and petty sessions are held every alternate week there and at Cuffsborough. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Rev. Thomas Carr; the rectory constitutes part of the corps of the deanery of St. Canice, Kilkenny, in the patronage of the Crown. The tithes amount to £789. 4, 7½., of which £526. 3. 1. is payable to the dean, and the remainder to the vicar, The parish church was erected in 1818, on part of the site of the old cathedral, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £500. Divine service is also performed in the courthouse of Borros. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £1350 from the same Board, in 1820; there are two glebes in the parish, comprising together 185 acres, which belong to the vicarage, In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parishes of Killemagh and Boardwell, and parts of those of Kildellig and Coolkerry, and contains four chapels, situated at Fox Rock, Knockaroe, Ballincolla, and Burros-in-Ossory. There are a parochial school at Aghaboe, national schools at Fox Rock and Cuffsborough, and other schools at Burros-in-Ossory and Old Park; and there are also eight private schools, in which are about 230 boys and 160 girls; and a Sunday school. At the distance of a few yards from the parish church are the remains of the Dominican abbey church; at Lismore are the remains of an ancient church and burial-ground; and at Farran-Eglish and Knockgera are also the remains of churches. To the north of the church is a large artificial mount, surrounded by a fosse and encircled with a wall near the summit; and at Middlemount is an ancient fortification, called the "rath of Lara," or the "moat of Monacoghlan"; besides several raths or moats in various parts of the parish. At Gurtnaclea is an ancient square castle; and at Ballygeehin are the remains of an ancient fortress, of which there were formerly many others in the pariah. -See BURROS in OSSORY.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aghaboe or Aughavoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Aghaboe or Aughavoe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.