UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stockleigh English, Devon

Historical Description

Stockleigh English, a parish in Devonshire, 5 miles N by E of Crediton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Crediton. Acreage, 1105; population, 65. The Bellew family have been proprietors for 300 years. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Queen. The church is Early Decorated English, was restored in 1878-83, and four bells were recast in 1892.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
Ecclesiastical parishStockley-English St. Mary 
HundredWest Budleigh 
Poor Law unionCrediton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Stockleigh English


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stockleigh English from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Stockleigh English are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.

DistrictMid Devon
CountyDevon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtEX17
Post TownCrediton