Stockland, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 6 miles from Honiton station on the L. & S.W.R., is large and scattered, and has a post and money order office under Honiton; telegraph office, Yarcombe. A stock fair is lield yearly on the first Wednesday after 11 June, and there are two grist mills. The parish comprises 5918 acres; population of the civil parish, 821; of the ecclesiastical, 1211. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. The living is a vicarage, united with Dalwood, in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £275 with residence. The church is ancient, but has been restored. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stockland St. Michael|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stockland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stockland (St. Michael))
Online maps of Stockland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.